Friday, September 9, 2011

Week 1 Highlights

Sorry for the silence, I think you should take it personally. Our days have been a little full, but that is no excuse. We promise to do better. Eventually.

So to play catch up Charlotte had a great idea that we'd share some week 1 highlights. So while we're thinking about our week 1 highlights, I'm going to upload this picture. It should buy us 15 minutes....
These are called birds of paradise and they are delicious. Fry up nicely.
John highlight- being flooded by reading assignments and realizing my only job is to be a student

Charlotte - Tuesday's chapel service.   The energy and joy expressed was very moving and there is just something about African music sung with gusto in worship that gives you energy and makes you feel alive.  Many students shared stories of thanksgiving and the story that made an indelible mark in my mind was from a young man from south Sudan.  He had been a child solider and was freed from that life of captivity and is now attending a university.  I believe he must understand what it means to be thankful in a way that I do not.  

John- ok so Charlotte continues to overachieve. I have enjoyed meeting many new people, especially students from other parts of Africa. I enjoy hearing their stories, and their passions in ministry.

Charlotte - taking a mutatu (public transport of sorts - really worthy of its very own blogpost) into Karen Town and having pizza at Que Pasa - sometimes something familiar just hits the spot. 

John- they are called Mondazi and they are delicious. sweet dough fried. kinda like a donut, but with no filling or glaze so they don't come with any guilt

Charlotte - well they are fried, so they come with some guilt!  Learning how to shop at Nakumat - a target/walmartish type store where I will do a lot of grocery shopping.   I'm sure I'll get the hang of it, but there will be a little education time required to determine what is cheap and what is expensive, what kind of substitutes will I need to find, etc.

Another highlight was having tea and bites (appetizers) at the beautiful Karen Country Lodge
Charlotte - being pleasantly surprised that in just a week's time certain African sounds, names and phrases roll off the tongue much easier than they did 7 days ago!  We still have a long way to go, but progress is progress and that is enough for me right now!

John- posting this and going to bed. Giraffes and Baby Elephants tomorrow. Try to get you highlights soon.



2 comments:

  1. Yay! So glad its going well. Kiss a baby giraffe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And bring back some Mondazi for me! -Garrett

    ReplyDelete